Thursday, February 2, 2012

Baked-In Milk

I came across this very in depth article about the extensively heated (baked-in) milk study that was done several years ago.  I've read abstracts of it before, but had never actually seen the full version.  Brody had a check-up with his allergist a couple days ago and I again brought up the fact that I'm very interested in trialing baked-in milk.  Dr. G still isn't sure if he thinks Brody would pass the challenge, but we'll discuss it again this summer when Brody has his next RAST test done.  We've been on this food allergy journey now for 12 years, so being able to add baked-in milk to his diet would be wonderful!  I'm still holding out hope that some day he'll be free of at least his egg and milk allergies!!

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(08)01111-1/fulltext


2 comments:

Unknown said...

My 11-year old has been successfully eating baked goods with milk and egg for about a year. I can use one regular egg (I substitute the rest) in a cake that is baked for 30 minutes.

He is alsoable to tolerate commercially baked bread products that have whey or milk listed as one of the last ingredients (like Thomas's English muffins). I have been able to add a little powdered milk when I bake something that will be in the oven for more than 30 minutes.

It has been stressful, though. More than one egg and symptoms (hives, stomach pain) occur. With our allergist's blessing, we tried graduated amounts of baked milk and egg in different things and documented carefully. Our hope is that this will help him "get rid of" the egg and milk allergy.

Keep us posted this summer if the doctor okays adding baked milk or egg.

Denise said...

I've never commented before but I've really been enjoying your blog. I'm going to make your Sunbuttery Popcorn tonight. It looks delicious, and we have all of the ingredients in the house!

Also, I gave you a blog award, The Liebster Award, because I really appreciate your blog!

http://laughingburnsmorecaloriesthancrying.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-award.html