Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It's Birthday Time!

Happy 12th Birthday to my sweet, funny, talented, awesome, allergic, not-so-little-anymore guy! 

One item on Brody's list of "things I really wish I could eat" is a Twinkie!  So yesterday I spent several hours attempting to recreate allergy-friendly Twinkies that would taste as close to the originals as possible to surprise Brody with today.  Well, that didn't exactly work out as planned since I wasn't thrilled with how the finished product turned out.  Just needs some more tweaking, so I'll try again another day.

So this morning I decided I would make some yummy Sticky Buns for breakfast instead.  They turned out absolutely delicious and Josh has already requested that I make this for his birthday breakfast later this month also.  Sounds like we found a new quick and easy family favorite!




Sticky Buns
2 small tubes of refrigerator biscuits (Pillsbury Flaky Layers are dairy-free)
3 Tbsp dairy-free margarine, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped almonds, optional (since Brody passed his almond challenge we use them in everything possible!)

Spray a fluted pan with non-stick spray.  Combine the melted margarine and maple syrup in a small bowl and set aside.  In another bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if using).  Place about half of the syrup mixture in the bottom of the pan.  Then sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture on top.  Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan, overlapping edges closely together to form a ring.  Top with remaining syrup and sugar mixtures.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool for 1 minute in the pan, then invert onto a serving platter and enjoy!!




No comments: