Sunday, September 11, 2011

Recipe of the Week

Smoothies are a big hit in this house.  I make one for the boys pretty much every day, sometimes twice a day...especially since I'm trying to get as many calories into Brody as possible per the endocrinologist's orders.  A smoothie beats out water as far as calories go any day! ;-) Plus it's a great way to get a couple servings of fruit into your child's diet!

Strawberry-Orange Smoothie
1 cup OJ
1/2 pkg (16 oz)  frozen strawberries
1/2 pkg (3.4 oz) Jell-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding (yes, this is dairy free!)

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.  Serve immediately.  Makes 2 servings, 1 cup each.  You can substitute the pudding mix for a different flavor if you choose...banana perhaps?


That's just a simple quick smoothie I make occasionally, but lately when I'm really trying to get some extra calories into the Ninja Boy I've been making this much more calorie-dense smoothie...

Fruit Smoothie
1/2 pkg (16 oz) frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 of a frozen banana
2 Tbsp vanilla soy yogurt
1/2 pkg. (3.4 oz) Jell-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 1/2 cup soy milk (I use half soy and half almond milk)

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.  Add more soy milk if too thick.  When I remember sometimes I will also add in 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed for a good source of Omega-3!

After I pour a cup for my older son, then I add a scoop of DuoCal powder and blend again for Brody's portion.  Gotta add those extra calories any way I possibly can!

No comments: